An urinary tract infection that causes inflammation of the bladder - a "woman's face" disease. The manifestation of cystitis in men, a very rare phenomenon, occurs mainly in men who have crossed the age of 40.
The atypical nature of male cystitis is explained by the structure of the male urethra. The male urethra has a longer, narrower and curved anatomy to help retain infection in the urethra, preventing it from entering the natural urinary reservoir. The appearance of male cystitis is facilitated by infravesical barriers - diseases that cause hydronephrosis. It is very important to start treating cystitis in men in time, when the first symptoms appear. You should not postpone the question of how to treat cystitis and let the process run its course - this is fraught with complications.
Causes of cystitis in men
Like any disease, male cystitis does not usually appear without a cause. Most of the time, it is a secondary disease that occurs in the context of some type of disease. The fact is that the urethra (urethra) in men has a relatively long length, as well as a narrow and curved shape. For this reason, external infections barely enter the bladder. This is only possible during urological procedures. But, most of the time, it can get there through the lymphatic or blood vessels of neighboring organs (for example, the urethra or the prostate). The causative agents of the infection can be viruses, bacteria, protozoan fungi (candida).
But when you consider that the bladder has excellent cleaning and immunity capabilities, it is clear that bacteria alone are not enough. After all, almost all infections that enter the urine are usually excreted in the urine or can be completely destroyed by the immune cells, which are the best guardians of the human body. Therefore, cystitis in men can develop due to stagnant urine. The fact is that, with the prolonged presence of pathogenic bacteria in the bladder, its sediment begins on the surface of the mucous membrane. They start to catch you at the first opportunity, for example, a cold, which is usually accompanied by a decrease in immunity. The introduction of bacteria in the mucous membrane leads to the onset of the disease.
The interruption of the passage of urine (stagnation of urine in the urinary tract) occurs more frequently in two cases. Sometimes there is a narrowing of the urethra due to some type of inflammatory process (usually after sexually transmitted infections) or an enlarged prostate can be diagnosed (in the case of adenoma or prostatitis). Cystitis can occur in both acute and chronic forms. It can also be different in the form of damage to the bladder wall. In this sense, catarrhal cystitis stands out, which evolves with edema and redness of the mucous membrane, purulent cystitis, hemorrhagic with bloody secretion, ulcerative and necrotic cystitis, characterized by tissue death.
Symptoms of cystitis in men
The symptoms of acute cystitis in men are very similar to those of acute prostatitis. Both the first disease and the second start with painful sensations in the lower abdomen. In addition, there is a frequent and painful need to urinate. And given the fact that in men these two diseases often occur simultaneously, the patient himself will not be able to distinguish them on his own.
In acute cystitis, one of the symptoms is a very small amount of urine. This occurs as a result of irritation of nerve receptors, which are located in the inflamed mucosa of the bladder. In acute cystitis, the urine becomes cloudy, which occurs later in the presence of a large number of leukocytes or pus. In addition, at the end of urination, a small amount of blood can be released. This phenomenon can often occur constantly. In medicine, this type of cystitis is called hemorrhagic.
The general condition of the man is also getting worse. He feels weakness, malaise, lethargy, sometimes the temperature can rise. If acute cystitis is not treated, after a week all its signs disappear. But the infection itself does not disappear anywhere, it contributes to the transition from acute to chronic cystitis.
A complication of cystitis in men is usually pyelonephritis, which involves inflammatory kidney disease. The infection can enter the kidneys through the ascending ureters if urine stagnates in the bladder.
In chronic cystitis, the man may not feel the symptoms or feel its frequent or constant manifestations, but not very pronounced. Often, in chronic cystitis in a man, the symptoms that appear are frequent or constant, although they are often mixed with symptoms of prostate diseases.
Patients with chronic cystitis are often plagued by moderate pain in the lower abdomen, frequent and painful urination. This is because, during a long period of illness, the bladder shrinks and a large amount of urine cannot accumulate in it.
Diagnosis of cystitis in men
Men with suspected cystitis should be examined by a urologist. The doctor drives:
- palpation of the scrotum;
- examination of Organs genitals and prostate;
- bacteriological culture of urethral smears and urine;
- PCR scraping for the presence of sexually transmitted infections;
- general urinalysis.
With the help of research, a specialist confirms or refutes the involvement of orchiepididymitis, phimosis or prostatitis in the occurrence of cystitis. The detection in the urine of leukocytes, erythrocytes, epithelium and mucus in large quantities indicates the presence of an inflammatory process. An acidic urine reaction occurs with tuberculous cystitis.
Urofluxometry excludes organic obstruction and urodynamic examination confirms or excludes detrusor-sphincter dyssynergy. Patients with the acute form of the disease are prescribed ultrasound of the kidneys and prostate. Patients with the chronic form of the disease are prescribed cystoscopy. The endoscopic examination allows to detect tumors, stones, foreign bodies, determine the form of inflammation and perform a biopsy. The doctor, when in doubt about the diagnosis, prescribes a multispiral cystouretrography to the patient.
Treatment of cystitis in men
How to treat cystitis in men - the following drugs are used to treat cystitis in strong sex:
- Antibiotics with uroantiseptic action - cephalosporins, fluoroquinols, macrolides, nitrofurans. The choice of agent is based on the results of bacteriological inoculation. If it has not been produced, a wide spectrum of drugs will be prescribed. It is necessary to take antibiotics for 5-7 days;
- Herbal remedies that have a complex effect on the functioning of the urinary system. They relieve inflammation, disinfect mucous membranes and have a diuretic effect. They must be drunk for 10-14 days;
- Analgesics - antispasmodics and anti-inflammatories that help eliminate discomfort;
- Immunostimulants. They are needed to increase the body's defenses in order to prevent cystitis in the future.
In the acute period of cystitis, the man must adhere to bed rest and exclude sexual intercourse. It is important to drink a lot - 2 - 2, 5 liters a day. Tea made from bearberry, lingonberry and ponytail leaves, cranberry juice, rosehip broth and mineral water are useful. The menu should exclude spicy, fatty, salty, pickled, fried and acidic foods, as well as alcohol.
Additional methods may include:
- rinsing the bladder with antiseptics (through the urethra);
- physiotherapy (in the recovery phase) - UHF, ultrasound, electrophoresis, magnetotherapy, mud therapy.
It is very important to complete all the treatment prescribed by the doctor.
Its interruption after the condition is relieved may lead to the transition from cystitis to the chronic form. In addition, attention should be paid to the treatment of diseases that cause inflammation of the bladder.
Traditional medicine recipes for the treatment of cystitis in men
In the arsenal of traditional medicine, there are many ways to fight cystitis, and a combination of nontraditional and drug treatment for male cystitis is welcome. The use of medicinal herbs helps to increase weakened immunity, which often becomes one of the causes of the disease, relieves inflammation and reduces pain. In addition, herbal preparations are effective in combating bacterial infection.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water into 1 tsp. echinacea, leave for at least 3 hours. Drink half a glass of infusion morning and night. Echinacea has a strong antiviral effect, with regular use it increases immunity and relieves inflammation;
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed pour a glass of cold water, boil for 5 minutes, drink 1 glass of infusion 3 times a day before meals;
- Pumpkin seeds help with cystitis, eat 1 cup a day for a week; 2
- table. tablespoons of a mixture of sage leaves (1 part), blackcurrant and string (2 parts each) pour 1, 5 liters of boiling water, insist in a thermos for 1-2 hours. Strain the infusion and take 3-4 times a day, half a glass for a week;
- Pour aspen buds with vodka at a ratio of 1: 10 and let it ferment for 10 days. Take 3 times a day, 25-30 drops for two weeks;
- Cranberry juice is good for treating diseases of the genitourinary system. Dissolve 2-3 tables. tablespoons of juice in half a glass of water, add 1 table. a spoon of honey. Take a cocktail of vitamins 3 times a day for 1-2 weeks;
- 1 cup of millet well washed, pour 3 cups of water and let it ferment overnight. Strain, drink half a glass 3-4 times a day. This infusion quickly relieves pain, the duration of the course is 1 week;
- 1 table. pour a spoonful of lingonberry leaves with a glass of boiling water, boil over low heat for 15 minutes, covering with a lid. Strain the cold infusion, drink a glass during the day. This infusion has a diuretic effect;
- Bearberry infusion prepared according to the same recipe (the only difference is that you need to boil it for 5 minutes and add a little regular soda) also helps in removing the liquid;
- Mix equal amounts of chopped onion, grated apple and honey. Take before meals, but cook again each time. The method helps to strengthen the bladder;
- Boil 1 cup of oats in a double boiler, filled with two cups of water, until the liquid evaporates in half. Add 1 table. a spoon of honey, drink half a glass before meals;
- 2 table. hops spoons, pour 2 cups of boiling water. Insist for at least 2 hours. Take the filtered infusion before meals.
All of the aforementioned home treatment methods for cystitis are effective only if used regularly.
Prevention of cystitis in men
Want to have nothing to do with cystitis? This is not difficult! Just follow the basic rules:
- pay attention to intimate hygiene (wash 1 to 2 times a day);
- does not sit for hours on cold surfaces and generally excludes any hypothermia;
- treating all emerging diseases in a timely manner (diseases of the kidneys, genitals, various types of inflammation);
- do not repress urination, empty your bladder when there is a desire;
- drink 7 to 8 glasses of water a day;
- refuse tights and synthetic underwear.
Cystitis can be cured! To heal and forget forever about how I ran a hundred times a day in the bathroom, I was ashamed of myself and I couldn't even go for a walk as a human being.
There is only one condition: complete treatment. And how are they here: they went to the hospital, the doctor gave medicine, the patient drank a few days, got better, so what? That's right, with a shout of joy “Viva! I'm saved! "man throws the remaining medicine in the trash can.
After a few weeks, the insidious wound returns. By the way, during the forced downtime, she managed to develop cells resistant to the drugs with which they tried to calcinate her. What are we going to deal with now? And that left the doctor to think, to dodge.
Therefore, treatment is postponed for years. Although the disease can be treated in a few weeks. Therefore, you must immediately follow all the doctor's recommendations. Unconditionally. Then the result will be better sooner.